COUNTY OF SEVIER
CITY OF RICHFIELD
At the Planning Commission
In and For Said City
June 7, 2017
Minutes of the Richfield City Planning Commission meeting held on Wednesday, June 7, 2017, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman Brion Terry, presiding.
1. Roll Call.
2. Minutes Approval: Consider approving minutes of May 3, 2017.
Consider recommending that the City Council accept and approve a Petition
for Annexation filed by John and Caylyn Juluson. Property is located at
approximately 1540 North 500 East. The property was formerly known as the
4. Zoning Discussion:
Gisselle Moriarty to discuss home located at 58 North 300 West (R1-10
zone). Discussion to include possibility of using the property for a bed and
breakfast or short-term rental property, which are not allowed uses in this
5. General Plan:
Review and discuss modifications to be made to the General Plan.
6. Other Business:
7. Adjournment .
1. Roll Call. Roll call was answered by Brion Terry, Greg Bean, Monte Turner, David Mower, and Lisa White. Jeff Albrecht and Steve Kunzler were excused.
City Staff Present: Zoning Administrator Gaylen Matheson and Deputy City Recorder Michelle Curtis.
Others present: Marylee Harrison, Giselle Moriarty, John Juluson.
2. Minutes Approval. The minutes of May 3, 2017, were reviewed. David Mower motioned to approve the minutes of May 3, 2017. Greg Bean seconded the motion. The motion carried. Those voting yea: Brion Terry, David Mower, Greg Bean, Monte Turner, and Lisa White. Those voting nay: None.
3. Annexation: John Juluson was present. John and Caylyn Juluson have filed a Petition for Annexation. The property is located at approximately 1540 North 500 East and was formerly known as the A-1 Nursery. The property consists of 2.6 acres. It is contiguous to the City boundary. Mr. Juluson’s mother-in-law, Darlene Peterson, owns 1 acre of property on 500 East which is immediately south of the subject property. They do not want to annex that property at this time.
Mr. Juluson said they plan to build a house on the property, and will also continue to operate a small plant nursery there. They would like to annex so that they can get City water. They could connect to the water line north of this property.
The Julusons will install a septic tank because it is not possible for them to connect to the sewer at this time. At the time when it is possible to connect to the sewer main line, he will install a sewer line and terminate the use of the septic tank.
Greg Bean motioned to recommend that the City Council accept and approve the Petition for Annexation filed by John and Caylyn Juluson. Lisa White seconded. The motion carried unanimously. Those voting yea: Brion Terry, David Mower, Greg Bean, Monte Turner, and Lisa White. Those voting nay: None.
4. Zoning Discussion: Gisselle Moriarty was present to discuss options that would be available to her in the use of her home located at 58 North 300 West (R1-10 zone). She wondered about the possibility of using her home as a bed and breakfast or short-term rental property. These are not allowed uses in this zone.
Ms. Moriarty thinks this area is beautiful and would like to have people visit here, not on a night-by-night basis, but staying here and bringing revenue into the community. She lives with her four children in her grandparents’ home which was built in 1946. She does not want to remodel the home to create separate living quarters. She would love to have the Commission come and look at the home to see what she is thinking of doing.
She does not want to rent out rooms for as long as a month, but someone coming from other areas or out of the country could come and spend a week and she could show them things to do.
As far as advertising, she would want to do whatever the City will allow her to do. She thinks she could advertise on websites for Air A&B or VRBO (vacation rental by owner).
Ms. Moriarty and her family would live downstairs and have the guests stay upstairs. She could accommodate six guests, possibly a few more.
The Zoning Code does not allow for a bed and breakfast in this zone. A VRBO is not addressed in the Code. The Code may need to be revised in order to allow this use. The Commission feels like it would be a good thing to discuss and address in the Zoning Code. The City needs to decide how it wants to handle these issues.
Before the Commission spends a lot of time studying this, it would like to see how the Council feels about it and whether they feel like these could allowed as conditional uses. Brion Terry said he will present this to the council when he attends their meeting. It is also felt that it would be appropriate to receive some feedback from the community.
There likely would need to be regulations for parking. Ms. Moriarty thinks there would only be one family there at a time and so they would have only one vehicle.
Lisa White suggests that the Commission needs to look at the difference of definitions between a bed and breakfast versus a VRBO. A VRBO is not quite the same thing as a bed and breakfast.
Ms. Moriarty was told this could be a several-month process. She will stay in touch, and the Commission will start looking into this.
5. General Plan: A portion of the General Plan was reviewed and proposed changes inserted.
6. Other Business: There was no other business.
7. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.
PASSED AND APPROVED on the 5th day of July, 2017.
/s/ Michelle Curtis
Deputy City Recorder