Minutes – 02.18.2021

COUNTY OF SEVIER

CITY OF RICHFIELD

                                                                                    At the Planning Commission

                                                                                    In and For Said City

                                                                                    February 18, 2021

         Minutes of the Richfield City Planning Commission meeting held on Thursday, February 28, 2021, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman Kendrick Thomas, presiding.

1.      Roll Call

2.       Public Hearing (6:00 p.m.)

         A.   Public hearing to receive comments concerning a proposal to add a zone called

               RM-24 (Multiple Residential District) which would allow a residential housing density

               of up to 24 units per acre.  The proposed zone would have the following

               requirements: 

8000 square feet for first unit, 1500 square feet for each unit over one, with no  more than 24 units per acre.

Parking at 1-1/2 spaces for 1-bedroom and studio apartments; 2-1/2 spaces for 2- and 3-bedroom units.

Height limit of 35 feet.

25% open space.

C-2 use.

Set backs to be the same as the RM-11 zone.

Requirement for Traffic Impact Study. 

3.      Action on Public Hearings

         A.   Discuss recommending that the City Council approve the creation of an RM-24 zone (Multiple Residential District) as a C2 use.

4.      Business Consideration

         A.   Review plans filed by Jaden Gurney for the development of a campground to be located between 1300 and 1500 South and 350 and 500 West.  (C-2 use, CG zone).  Consider recommending that the City Council approve the project.

5.      Other Business

6.       Adjournment

1.  Roll Call.  Roll call was answered by Kendrick Thomas, Lisa White, Susan Jensen, Landon Larsen, and Blaine Breinholt.  Greg Bean and Josh Peterson were excused. 

City Staff Present:   Deputy City Recorder Michelle Curtis and Building Official Rick Robinson.    

Others Present:  Carson DeMille, Jaden Gurney, Larry Pearson, Michael Snow, Greg Gagon. 

2.   Public Hearing:  (6:02 p.m.)   

         A.   A public hearing was held to receive comments concerning a proposal to add a zone called RM-24 (Multiple Residential District) which would allow a residential housing density of up to 24 units per acre.  The proposed zone would have the following requirements:

8000 square feet for first unit, 1500 square feet for each unit over one, with no  more than 24 units per acre. 

Parking at 1-1/2 spaces for 1-bedroom and studio apartments; 2-1/2 spaces for 2- and 3- bedroom units.

Height limit of 35 feet.

25% open space.

C-2 use.

Set backs to be the same as the RM-11 zone.

Requirement for Traffic Impact Study. 

Chairman Thomas explained the above-suggested standards for the RM-24 zone.   Currently there are no zones that are RM-24.  It is not proposed that any existing zones are changed.  The changes will come on a case-by-case basis.    Any requirements that are not listed would be the same as those required in the RM-11 zone. 

Greg Gagon said he has been to Planning Commission a few times to discuss this issue.  The proposal is exactly what they hoped for, and they are optimistic about the possibilities.   He wondered about the height limit which would be set at 35 feet.  In order to fit 24 units per acre, most likely a building would potentially be 3 stories tall.   From an architectural standpoint, at a minimum there would be 8- or 9-foot ceilings, with floor joists that are at least a foot.  That alone would bring building height to 30 feet.  Aesthetics are important, and this leaves a just 5 feet for a roof on a building that is probably quite large.  If they put on a regular roof, it would be taller than 35 feet.  Rick Robinson advised that according to building code, when he figures roof height, he takes the bottom of the truss and the top of the truss and takes the average.  In reality, the height would probably be closer to 40 feet.  Landon Larsen said really the City’s intent is to keep buildings to no taller than three stories.  This will need to be clarified in the Zoning Code specifying that height limit is the mean roof height, not the absolute roof height.   

Larry Pearson asked about underground garages and how that plays into this?  He was told this does not preclude parking under a structure nor a parking structure itself.  Larry Pearson expressed his support of this new zone being added to the Zoning Code. 

The public hearing closed at 6:12 p.m.

3.      Action on Public Hearing

Consider approving the creation of an RM-24 zone as a C-2 use. 

Lisa White motioned to approve the creation of the RM-24 zone as set out in the public hearing with clarification of roof height.  Susan Jensen seconded the motion.  Those voting aye:  Kendrick Thomas, Greg Bean, Lisa White, Susan Jensen, Landon Larsen, Greg Bean, Blaine Breinholt, and Josh Peterson.  Those voting nay:  None.  The motion carried unanimously.

4.      Business Consideration

         A.   Review plans filed by Jaden Gurney for the development of a campground to be located between 1300 and 1500 South, and 350 and 500 West.  (C-2 use, CG zone).  Consider recommending that the City Council approve the project.  

Jaden Gurney and Carson DeMille were present. The notes from the DRC were discussed as follows:

 1.  Streets:   The City Council has already told Mr. Gurney that he will not be required to do street improvements on 350 West.  However, he does need to preserve a 30-foot right-of-way from the centerline of the street to his property.   Verify the dimensions shown on the plan.  

Mr. Gurney needs to contact UDOT to see if they have any requirements since the RVs will be turning off of 1300 South or SR 118 to get to the campground.  The City needs a letter from UDOT setting out maintenance or development standards along 1300 South.  The State might require a traffic study for impacts onto 1300 South and possibly SR 118. 

Show curb, gutter, sidewalk and asphalt along 1500 South.  The right-of-way is 30 feet from the centerline of the street to the back of the sidewalk. 

Response:  The plans have been changed to reflect the dimension of the 30-foot right-of-way on 350 West.   They have sent an e-mail to UDOT to see it has any concerns or comments regarding access or increased traffic.  They have not received an answer yet.  Mr. Gurney pointed out that this type of traffic usually goes in the park and stays until it leaves.  They don’t generally go in and out a dozen times a day.   

As far as curb, gutter, and sidewalk, Mr. DeMille said that 1500 South is a County road, not a City Road.  He has been visiting with City Administrator Michele Jolley.  She has said that the road needs to be transferred to the City.  Mr. Gurney said he doesn’t know what will go on the west side of this property, but he doesn’t foresee foot traffic on this road.  Rick Robinson said the kids at the charter school cause some foot traffic. 

Susan Jensen said if 1500 South becomes a City road, then curb, gutter, and sidewalk should be required. Landon Larsen said he could see campground patrons going for a walk or walking their animals.  It seems likely that there will be walkers. 

Rick Robinson asked where does the water go when it fills up the pond.  Mr. DeMille said there is a culvert at the southeast corner of this property.  The culvert crosses under 1500 South.  The pond will handle the post-improvement storm.  He said the culvert was put in for waste water so it is very shallow.   He said the culvert is smashed from cars cutting the corner.  If and when curb and gutter is put in, they will have to rip out the culvert. 

The Planning Commission is not able to waive the requirement for curb, gutter, and sidewalk.  The City Council would have to make that decision.  Blaine Breinholt said it is hard where the road is not City property, but if the road comes into the City, then improvements probably should be required.  He wondered if the City would require DP Curtis, the property owner across the street to the east, to put in curb, gutter, and sidewalk.  The answer to that is yes, if they were to put in a new development or building.  But the City couldn’t go back on an existing business and demand that they put improvements in. 

Susan Jensen points out that if the City requires curb, gutter, and sidewalk for new developments, then today is the day to do it.  Mr. Gurney feels like the location of the property justifies there not being curb, gutter, and sidewalk.  It was explained that the City does have a Waiver of Improvements which it sometimes enter into with property owners.  The Waiver allows a property owner not to put in improvements, but they agree that if there is a special improvement district in the future, they will not protest it, and will participate in improvements.  The City Council would have to approve and enter into the agreement.   

Chairman Thomas points out that if the proposed apartments are constructed on the north side of 1300 South, then there will be more and more foot traffic in this area. 

2.  Sewer:    Sewer connection is shown coming from 1500 South.

Response:  Mr. DeMille said the City Council has told Mr. Gurney that he can go ahead and start moving dirt while the property is completing its annexation.  He wonders about being able to start the sewer line now.  Mr. Gurney said they would like to start laying the sewer and water lines and then will connect to the lines when it is annexed.   He needs to work with Building Official Rick Robinson and Public Works Director Keith Mogan. 

3.  Water:  Water connection is shown coming from 1500 South.

4.  Payback Agreements:  There are no payback agreements. 

5.  Fire HydrantsA fire hydrant is shown at the southeast corner of the property. 

6.  Knox Box:  A knox box is recommended.

7.  Street Lights:    Street light to be installed at the corner of 350 West 1500 South.  Street lights to be installed going to the west every 350 to 400 feet. 

Response:  Because of the property’s close proximity to the airport runway, Mel Leseson with Jviation has asked that they provide the longitude and latitude of the poles, the pole height, and the ground elevations for each.  They are working with Cecelia Bytheway on this.  Mr. Gurney wondered if street lights are necessary since he will have lights within the campground.  He will have entrance lights.  He was told that he needs to put in a street light at the corner of 350 West 1500 South and another one at either side of the entrance. 

8.  Site Drainage:  Site drainage is shown.  Show calculations for sizing the pond. 

Response:   This was submitted today.  They have followed the City’s requirement on maximum discharge for pre- and post-development.  It is 2 feet deep.  Rick Robinson said they don’t need a fence unless it is deeper than 2 feet. 

9.  Offsite Drainage:  Show existing irrigation ditches and how that will be taken care of. 

Be aware that there is an old French drain that runs east to west through the middle of the parcel and it may be necessary to put in drains or reroute the water. 

Response:  Mr. DeMille said they will be aware of the possibility of a French drain and will work through it when they come across it.  He said some of those have been 6 feet deep.  They may need to adjust the utilities, but that won’t be difficult to do. 

10.  Landscaping:  Show detailed landscape plan.

Response:  They will provide a landscape plan.  It will mostly be dryscape in the areas that are green on the site plan and also the end caps.  They will make sure any trees that are planted will have a mature height of 20 feet or less.    

11.  Parking:  Show proposed parking for extra vehicles or other patrons. 

Response:  Parking spaces are shown along the recreation area.  There are 15 parking spaces.   Mr. Gurney does not foresee a need for excessive parking because the trailer stalls are 32 feet wide which leaves plenty of room to park an extra vehicle or side-by-side next to the trailer.   They need to ensure that they provide the required number of ADA-compliant trailer spaces and parking spaces.

Lisa White advises that there are accessibility requirements for campsites.  Mr. DeMille said the grade is no more than a 1% slope.   It is almost flat.  Lisa White said the plug-ins and water pedestal have to be at a height that is accessible for a person in a wheelchair.  That includes providing the radius for a proper turn-around for a wheelchair.  Mr. DeMille said there is no curb.  It is just gravel and there will be no obstructions. 

There will be 77 trailer spaces which would require two accessible spots.  The surfacing has to be firm and stable.  Gravel does not always fit that standard unless there is some kind of gravel binder.  One or two of the trailer spaces may have to be compacted really well or have some other solid surface. 

Rick Robinson will work with them on this. 

12.  Building:  Provide detailed plans for building and elevations. 

Response:  They will provide detailed building plans when they get ready to build it.  Mr. Gurney has not yet decided on a building and will do that later.  He wants to get up and running so that he can take reservations and be functioning for this upcoming season. 

13.  Signage:  Provide stop sign at entrance to campground.  Provide plans for other proposed signs to ensure they comply with Sign Ordinance. 

Response:  They will provide a stop sign and that is called out on the plan.  As far as a sign for advertising, he hasn’t gotten that far.  He thinks he will just have a sign on the building that is small, simple, and lighted.  Any signage will need to be approved by Rick Robinson.  Also, if there are any directional signs on 1300 south, they will need to be approved by UDOT.

14.  Trash Enclosure:  Show trash enclosure. 

Response:  The trash enclosure will be at the southeast corner together with a future storage shed.  It will be screened. 

15.  Fees:  Developer is responsible for additional inspections and materials testing that will be done by the City’s engineer.  The City will have an estimate as to the costs at the time a building permit is applied for.  Jones & DeMille will also compute impact fees. 

Response:  Mr. DeMille said he has been working with Michele Jolley as far as the water shares that will be turned over upon annexation.   

16.  Geotech Report:  Provide Geotech report.

Response:  Rick Robinson said if they aren’t doing buildings, then there is no need for a Geotech report.  At the time they do the building, they will provide a Geotech report for the site where the building sits.

17.  Airport:  Be aware that this is in the flight zone for the airport and it can be noisy.

18.  Fire Department:  To be reviewed by Fire Chief. 

Response:  The fire chief has been made aware of the campground, the location of the fire hydrant, and ingress and egress.  The site, as proposed, is alright.

19.  Damages:  The developer will be responsible to repair any damages that are incurred to City streets due to development of this project. 

Lisa White motioned to recommend to the City Council that they approve Jaden Gurney’s proposed campground to be located between 1300 and 1500 South and 350 West and 500 West as discussed above and set out in the DRC notes.  Blaine Breinholt seconded the motion.  Those voting aye:  Kendrick Thomas, Greg Bean, Lisa White, Susan Jensen, Landon Larsen, Greg Bean, Blaine Breinholt, and Josh Peterson.  Those voting nay:  None.  The motion carried unanimously.

5.      Other Business.   None.

6.      Adjournment.  The meeting adjourned at 6:55 p.m.

PASSED AND APPROVED on the 3rd day of March, 2021.

/s/ Michelle Curtis

        Deputy City Recorder